Saturday, October 22, 2011

Oh no, please not Carroll....


Carroll was sort of a new/old friend, as I had known him for a long time, but we became closer the last couple of years, sharing our love of the Whippets when we met at lure courses and slowly building a strong friendship. Before long we made a habit of chatting by phone every night as we lived far apart most of the year. He was always encouraging, always had a good dog story for me, and vice versa; we told each other the same old stories over and over. We planned to have a good long visit playing with his pups at his home in Southern California, only 5 or 6 hours past my 2009 winter rental south of Tucson . He invited me to come and spend some time with him once the litter was born and I planned to do just that as soon as soon as I could leave my home in northern Minnesota where I was supervising the building of a wall in the creek right next to my house to save it from destruction. The wall project dragged on and on, Carroll became very ill but bounced back, and finally on Christmas Eve I told him the wall was done and I was ready to head out! We spoke again for the last time on Christmas Day, as he was headed out to his son's for a Christmas Dinner. He said he felt just fine, but he passed away that night at home, and I never made it to see him and play with his litter of pups. He so wanted to share the fun of watching them and evaluating them with me, and I will always be a little sad I did not make it in time to see my friend one more time. Carroll had a good life with his wife Ruby and their wonderful Whippets. He was sad without her; we all missed her at the lure courses. I miss him still, he was one of the best and truest friends I have ever had. Many others feel as I do about this wonderful man. I don't have a good picture of him, as he wouldn't let me take one, as he wanted me to always fill the frame with the dog he was holding. So here is his great dog, Spike, the finest, fastest and sweetest Whippet I ever had the privilege to judge, devoted to his master, and always able to bring a smile to Carrolls face. I wish I could see all of the great spirits who passed through my life just one more time, to see them smile, and give them each a hug. Their leaving changed my life forever, leaving me hurt on the inside and on the outside. These are only three of many who are now somewhere else, I hope, where I might someday see them again. But for now I must continue, and see what I can make of the time I have left. I hope that I can turn the memory of the ones I have loved, human and dog, into a strength to continue on the path I am meant to walk.

No comments: